Report by Caroline Makin, Club Captain
The 11th annual Sri Chinmoy National Capital Swim which celebrated the 50th anniversary of the opening of Lake Burley Griffin, was held on Sunday, 30 November 2014.
It was a stormy, wet morning in the run up to the event kicking off at 7.45am, but the rain subsided for most of the swim, although it remained overcast for most of the morning and the rain came down in bucket loads towards the end of the final leg for some swimmers and during the presentations.
This 9k swim event is for solo swimmers and relay teams and consists of four legs …
Leg 1 Scrivener Dam boom to Weston Park, 1.8km
Leg 2 Weston Park to Yarralumla Bay, 2.5km
Leg 3 Yarralumla Bay to Commonwealth Place, 2.8km
Leg 4 Commonwealth Place to Grevillea Park, 1.9 km
We had a fabulous turn out this year of 18 swimmers from our club, consisting of the following people …
Four solo swimmers:
- Paul “Marathon Man” Hitchman – (U50 Male – 5th of 9 – 2:27:12)
- Greg “Iron Man” Gourley – (50-59 Male – 6th of 7 – 2:47:53)
- Caz “Crazy Girl” Makin – (U50 Female – 3rd of 5 – 2:46:24)
- Kristen “New Kid on the Block” Henderson – (U50 Female – Wetsuit – 3rd of 3 – 2:55:46)
One team of two swimmers:
- “Viking 61s”: Jeanette Droop and Leisa Cass – (Female Team – 2nd of 4 – 2:45:01)
Three teams of four swimmers:
- “Viking Youngsters”: Leisa Moore, Anne Smyth, Suzie Gunning, Nicole Martin – (Female Team – 1st of 4 – 2:39:40)
- “Viking Antiques”: Mandy Coggins, Ian Hampton, Jon McRae, Brenda Day – (Mixed Team – 7th of 8 – 3:03:13 )
- “Style, Speed, Endurance and a Cripple”: Atsuko McGowan, David Bale, Sammy Young, David Bale – (Mixed Team – 2nd of 8 – 2:28:11)
Thanks to the solo swimmer’s paddlers including Marianne Tweedie (for Caz) and Mij Gourley (for Greg) and to all those friends and family who came to cheers on our swimmers.
This is a fantastic local event that our club has taken part in for a good number of years now.
Full results are available.