Report from Ian Hampton
Annette Britten, Anne Smyth and Ian Hampton attended the joint Ryde-Vikings training camp at Thredbo over the long weekend of 1-4 October. All the participants found it to be worthwhile, pretty tiring getting through 5-6 x 2 hour sessions over the duration, a real buzz being in the super Thredbo environment, staying in a really nice lodge with great food, good company and a nice sense of achievement through working through and coming out the other side of some solid 2-hour long sessions.
- Organised by Susan Leech of the Ryde club.
- Total of 6 x 2-hour sessions of up to about 4 km in the excellent Thredbo Leisure Centre pool over Friday evening, Sat-Sun and Monday morning.
- Accommodation at Boali Lodge except for the Smyth family who stayed at their normal lodge.
- 6 members from Ryde Club and 3 from Vikings.
- The group at Boali Lodge was rounded out by 2 husbands and 1 wife (Fran).
- Good variety in the sessions developed by Ryde club coaches.
A few other observations
- Getting through the 2-hour long sessions was quite different to a 1-hour session.
Personally for Ian it was a matter of building into each session resulting in a good sense of achievement.
- Good camaraderie in the whole group … kept everyone focussed on the job at hand.
- Boali Lodge and the managing family were excellent and the food was great and plentiful.
- Regime to get through the 5-6 x 2 hour sessions is something like swim, eat, sleep and sightseeing (or coffee or snack or something).
- It was a really worthwhile exercise and that as a club we should think of doing it again … the expectation is that Ryde Club will be interested in doing a similar training camp again next year; we should also think of doing something similar as part of our build-up to future major events.